Published on July 15th, 2012 | by Pradeep Farkya0
Update HTC Flyer to Android ICS 4.0 using Custom ICS ROM – How to
Ever since HTC has said “No to ICS” for HTC Flyer,there have been many disappointed Flyer customers.Many bought HTC flyer as they thought that the android phone would be updated to Ice cream sandwich (4.0).Yeah,customers are disappointed but no one can deny the fact that HTC flyer is a low end phone and HTC needs to cater to its high-end devices which people buy at heftier prices,in other words android development does consume time.
But,everyone like me is not able to buy a high-end phone and so such people end up in buying a medium-range,low-end device.My friend has also got an HTC FLyer,he asked me “How can I update my Flyer to ICS”.I searched XDA forums to find suitable solution with a custom rom and to my surprise I found a custom ICS ROM developed for HTC Flyer by Dexter_nlb,which has some bugs but the rom can be used as a daily rom.
Some details of ROM before we begin with the tutorial
ROM Name : ICSSense OneXXL (V 1.6). ICS 4.0.3
What Doesn’t work ?
- Camera doesn’t work
- Pen doesn’t work
- Mass storage not working ( but works with included mass storage app to share with PC)
- Gallery cannot play videos ( use any other media player from market)
What works ?
- Everything else works that is not listed above.
- Atleast 50% charged mobile,we don’t want the phone to switch off while flashing the rom.Things can get messy !
- Backup all your data including contacts,messages,logs,applications.You can use inbuilt export option to export contacts to .vcf file.Use Super contact Backup from play store to backup messages and logs.To backup apps you can use “Titanium Backup” from play store.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone. Go to Settings->Applications->Development->Turn On USB Debugging.
Procedure to install Custom ICS Rom firmware For HTC Flyer :
- Download the ROM file from here.
- Once you are in the recovery : Wipe Data/Factory Reset, Wipe Dalvik Cache, and flash the ROM. Then, on your PC, enter ‘adb reboot bootloader’ in the command prompt/terminal. Wait until you get in the bootloader, and enter ‘fastboot erase cache’. And lastly, enter ‘fastboot flash boot boot.img’. Then choose REBOOT in the bootloader on your Flyer, and enjoy ICS.
- Boot into recovery by pressing Volume up +down key with power button simultaneously.
- Select “Install Zip from SD card” and then select “Choose Zip from SD card”.Select the file.
- The flash process will begin.Usually takes 3-4 minutes to complete.
Enjoy Android ICS 4.0 on FLyer